Pacific Crest Marathon (Sunriver, OR) – June 28, 2014 – ‘Sea Level is for Sissies’

This weekend we made another cross-country jaunt to the Pacific Northwest – it seems I am drawn to the cooler climate and lovely scenery of this area, especially when the temperature in Florida hits 95 almost every day. This time we flew into Portland and rented a car for the 3 ½ hour drive to Bend, Oregon. Even though I had lived and worked in southern Oregon many years ago, I had never been to Bend, so I was curious to learn about the area on the eastern side of the Cascades. Sunriver is a resort community about 15 miles south of Bend so rather than stay in one of the condo rentals in Sunriver itself we opted instead to headquarters ourselves in Bend and travel to and fro as needed.

The drive from the outskirts of Portland to Bend was very scenic; we passed by ski areas and majestic evergreens, crossed mountain passes with elevations over 4000 feet, and drove through the Mt. Hood National Forest (with snow-crowned Mt. Hood in the distance) and the Warm Springs Indian Reservation.

My choice of hotel was the Hilton Garden Inn in the Old Mill District, an upscale shopping and dining area. It was pricey but sounded ideal and it was – at least for the first 2 nights. Our last night at the hotel was a fiasco but I’ll expand on that later. We were exhausted after the long flight from Atlanta to Portland followed by the long drive to Bend, so we checked into the hotel and walked to a nearby microbrewery and restaurant. I must admit that one of the reasons I wanted to stay in Bend was to take advantage of several local breweries that surrounded the Deschutes River, so that first night we had a flight of beers and some tasty chicken quesadillas and a huge platter of nachos at the Rat Hole Brewpub. The atmosphere was friendly and laid back; it didn’t take long for us to get into a more relaxed frame of mind after a long day of travel.

After eating, we walked back to the hotel and called it a day. It might have been 6 pm Pacific time but for us it was 9 pm and past my usual bedtime. On Friday morning, after a sound sleep and a ‘free’ breakfast (we were given courtesy breakfast vouchers in lieu of extra Hilton points), we were ready to explore Sunriver. We followed the directions to the expo which was held outdoors in the Athletes Village. There were maps (not drawn to scale) online as well as in the 60 page booklet handed out at the expo but I have to admit that I was totally confused about where I really was the entire weekend. There were too many traffic circles and too many houses that looked identical. Fortunately, the race course itself was exceedingly well-marked so I never got lost during the race itself, but I otherwise I found the area very confusing. Had it not been for my husband and his acute sense of direction, it would have been a frustrating experience.

The marathon was just one of numerous events held during what is called the Pacific Crest Weekend Sports Festival. In addition to the marathon, the weekend includes a long course triathlon, endurance duathlon, half marathon, Olympic distance triathlon, Olympic distance duathlon, Tour de Crest bike tour (26 and 55 miles), 5K and 10k run/walk, kids splash pedal-n-dash, and kids 1-mile and ½ mile dash. All these events are held over the 3 day weekend, beginning Friday and ending Sunday. The motto of the weekend is ‘sea level is for sissies’ – and with elevations reaching over 4500 feet, it proved to be very true. I had not realized this when I signed up for the race, but even though I live in sea-level Florida, I have completed enough high altitude races to feel that I could manage the altitude as long as I didn’t push too hard.

I joined the long line for packet pickup for registered participants. Once we entered the registration tent, the line split into different groupings depending on the particular race. The marathon line was short and I was able to easily get my pink bib with chip attached. I was then directed to another line for a wrist band that would allow me into the food tent post-race and then to another tent for my gray-green short sleeve tech tee shirt. We spent quite a bit of time at the information booth in order to get exact directions for the auxiliary parking area so we could take a shuttle to the start on race day. Parking is very limited in Sunriver and is forbidden on the sides of the roads within the community so people were encouraged to drive to Penhollow Lake where there was ample parking and shuttle buses that would continually make the drive between the parking area and the Athletes Village. The only problem was that the printed directions and map were incorrect and it took awhile before volunteers could explain exactly where to go and how to get there. After we finally got the directions straightened out (at least so Darcy could understand them, I was still confused), we drove back to Bend for some lunch.

Our first stop was at the Deschutes Brewery where we intended to take a free tour. Unfortunately the tours were completely booked up for the rest of the day, but we were invited to stop at the hospitality room to taste a few glasses of the special brews on tap. That sounded good to us, so I tried several light beers while Darcy concentrated on the darker pours. Then we browsed the small gift shop and selected a couple of tee shirts to purchase. The brewery has a pub downtown so that was our destination for lunch. Darcy and I split a huge hot pretzel with melted Tillamook cheese and spicy mustard and then Darcy had a meatloaf dinner while I feasted on a mushroom burger and sweet potato fries.

Then it was back to the hotel to make final preparations for the race and get some rest. I slept fitfully, waking every couple of hours to check the time even though my alarm was set. I finally got out of bed around 3:30 am and began to quietly get ready. We were ready to leave about 5:45 am so we made our way to the car and drove to the auxiliary parking spot where we could pick up the shuttle. The race officials had put up large signs on the highway and at the proper exit to show us exactly how to get there. I guess all those questions we had on Friday paid off! We parked and walked to one of several mini-buses that were lined up ready to take on passengers. The drivers conferred among themselves and via cell phone about where to drop us off and how to get us to that point. Then we boarded the bus of the most confident driver, who would lead the way, and made ourselves comfortable for the brief ride.

All was well until my husband turned to me about 5 minutes into the ride and said, ‘the driver missed a turn and now he’s going the wrong way.’ We were sitting up front so I told Darcy to say something quickly to the driver or – despite getting on the first bus – we would be late to the start. I had to visit the porta-potty, too. So my geographically-gifted husband strode to the front of the bus and proceeded to give accurate directions to the driver who seemed grateful (and only a tiny bit embarrassed) for the assistance. We made it to the drop off point after that with no more problems.

The weather was in the low 50’s and I was cold but did not want to dress too warmly because the temps were supposed to reach the mid-70’s with some sun. I gripped my handwarmers and kept my hood up to ward off the chill. The marathon starting time was 7:30 am, followed by the half marathon at 8. There were a number of Marathon Maniacs present as well as several 50 State Club members and several people took photos of the Maniacs as we waited to begin. Promptly at 7:30 we were called to the start line and the countdown began. We started on time, with me near the back.

My legs were stiff for the first couple of miles so I had to take it easy until I warmed up. Several people ran past me and then slowed down to a crawl and I could hear them gasping for breath. It was then that I realized that they were having trouble because of the altitude. My lungs seemed to be okay but I thought that maybe the heaviness I felt in my legs might also be a result of the altitude. I began to relax and enjoy the clear day and beautiful surroundings. I knew that my finishing time might suffer but racing at 4500 feet elevation when I was accustomed to sea level might not be such a good idea. Once reconciled to that, the rest of the race passed uneventfully.

Around an hour or so into the race, the fastest half marathoners caught up with me and from that point on I was surrounded by rapid runners who sped by me on the way to completing their one loop. It was so difficult for me to finish the first loop and not turn off with the half marathoners! The announcer even called out my name, saying, ‘there you go, Marsha, starting your second loop’ so there was no way I could chicken out and stop at one loop. I kept moving. For most of the second time around I was all alone but instead of feeling lonely, it was very pleasant. The day had warmed up considerably and I reveled in the sunshine. There was not much shade but the course did weave in and out of several wooded areas, and that provided a little relief. Along the way I saw deer, a family of ducklings, a swan, Canada geese, and lots of birds. Following the arrows and signs, I had no problem staying on the course.

As I approached the final 10K, I finally saw some other racers, including one of my Maniac Facebook friends, Karin (whom I had never met in person before). I was SO happy to reach the finish line after this second loop! My finishing time was 6:16, good enough for 2nd in my age group. I received my medal, entered the food tent where the offerings were generous, and met up with Darcy for our shuttle ride back to our rental car.
Now I was ready for a shower and a meal. We decided to visit the Deschutes Brewery pub for our again dinner, with another hot pretzel for me and a Reuben sandwich for Darcy. I was beat, and since we had to get up at 3 am for the long drive back to Portland to catch our morning flight, I was looking forward to a quiet night’s sleep. It was not to be. We had to listen to an excruciatingly loud rock band in the outdoor arena right outside our window. I asked to change rooms but was told the hotel was completely booked for the night. I asked how long the concert would last and nobody knew. I spent an irritating evening sitting in the hotel lobby trying to read and stay awake until the noise ceased – which it finally did around 10 pm. Had we known about the concert when we checked in we could have made arrangements to stay elsewhere for that final evening. The result was a long, sleepy, tiring day on Monday as we made our way home, eventually reaching Florida around 9:30 pm.

This race had both pros and cons; a lot depends upon your point of view as well as your personal likes and dislikes.
The good –
• The paved course was very well-marked with large signs and arrows pointing the way
• Volunteers were present at every crossing and aid station and remained cheerful throughout the race
• Aid stations were every couple of miles and had cold water, electrolyte drinks, and some had cliff shots – and porta potties
• Scenery was lovely; we passed through evergreen woodlands, golf courses, lakes with people tubing, boating, and fishing, and mountains topped with snow
• Animals occasionally popped up – deer, mama duck and her family of ducklings, Canada geese, bluebirds, even a swan
• There was plenty of food at the finish line. I wasn’t very hungry but I could have eaten my fill of fruit (watermelon, cantaloupe, and honeydew), bread, macaroni salad, cookies, and strawberry shortcake with whipped cream and more
• No big rocks or roots on the course (but I was still glad I wore my gaiters because there were lots of small pebbles that were just looking to jump inside my shoes)
• There is no official time limit so walkers are actively encouraged to participate in both half and full marathons
The not-so-good –
• Tee shirt is generic; it says Pacific Crest Athletic Festival but doesn’t mention the marathon event (or any of the other races) nor does it say ‘finisher’ on it. With so many activities going on, it doesn’t surprise me that there aren’t separate tees for each event, but still . . . .
• The medal is generic as well – it is large and has a beautiful depiction of the mountains and lakes but there is no mention of marathon or finisher or the place or even the date. The lanyard also fails to mention the specific race or date. That is a little disappointing because someone looking at the medal would have absolutely no idea what it was for
• High elevation makes it tough to maintain a regular pace, at least for flatlanders
• It’s a double loop course, and I am not crazy about double loops, but the course is attractive enough that walking around it twice was not a real hardship
• There were only 119 finishers in the full marathon, probably the smallest race I’ve ever completed. That second loop was pretty lonely. It didn’t bother me much since the course was so well-marked that I wasn’t worried about getting lost but it was good to finally see some other racers as I came up on the last 6 miles or so
• The shuttle drivers needed more training. If Darcy had not helped our driver with directions we might have arrived late to the starting line
• The award ceremony was over well before many people had finished the race (this is always disappointing to me) and there was no mention of whether age group awards would be mailed.

Getting to the race site requires some extra planning and expense and probably an extra day and night if you are coming from east of the Mississippi. This race would be a good opportunity to spend several extra days in Oregon as part of an extended vacation, perhaps taking in the southern and coastal sections of the state in addition to walking the marathon. The Portland airport is well-organized and signage throughout Oregon is exceptionally good; I really liked the huge speed limit signs on the highways (easy on my aging eyes).
Would I do this race again? Probably not, but I am certainly glad I did it at least once. I would recommend it to walkers who enjoy a quiet race with lots of spectacular scenery and who do not require lots of spectators or company on the course.

One thought on “Pacific Crest Marathon (Sunriver, OR) – June 28, 2014 – ‘Sea Level is for Sissies’

  1. You described it perfectly! And yes….don’t those traffic circles in Sunriver just drive you nuts? Last year we rented a house in Sunriver for 3 weeks. One night I had made a salad, but realized I didn’t have any dressing, so I told my husband (Brian) that I would zip over to the store and be back in about 10 minutes. My “quick trip” to the store ended up being about 45 minutes as I just kept going in circles thanks to my less than stellar sense of direction and all those rotaries!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s